Tips for Securing a Great Silent Auction Item
GKHAT will once again be hosting an online auction this fall as a fundraiser to help offset program costs. All GKHAT families are asked to secure a silent auction item(s) with a minimum value of $150. These top tips are suggestions to help you find that great item that will help raise funds for our club.
1) Contact a business where you are a regular customer. Chances are that items you like to buy will also be ones that people want to bid on. Think about where you shop and start from there.
2) Don’t forget about online shopping – where you normally spend your money is the place to go.
Do you make regular purchases to the same business online? If so, ask them to add extra items to your next order – it saves them the shipping and they may be more willing to donate if you are a regular customer (think coffee or wine subscriptions, beauty products you order regularly).
3) Share some information about our club and your family’s skiers! When approaching online businesses email them the silent auction letter written by the GKHAT board and add a personal introduction from yourself in the email. Tell them a bit about yourself and your GKHAT athlete.
4) Make a basket. Ask multiple businesses for smaller items and put together a variety basket! Or when you approach a single business it could be a themed or hobby basket (i.e. arts and crafts, new baby, mom/dad Christmas present, favourite pet, gardening ,cooking are all good themes).
5) Propose an idea when you contact a business. Instead of just asking for a contribution, give some thought to what a business might be able to donate or what might be of interest in an auction. Do the thinking for them:
6) Experiences are great. Beyond just hard goods – what experiences could be interesting/appealing for someone to bid on?
7) Consider making a time commitment. Do you have a particular skill or service you could provide? Can you teach how to play a musical instrument? Arborist? Construction? Wash windows? Art lessons? Ski lessons? etc…
8) Items don’t just have to be for skiers. Bidders in our auction include GKHAT athletes and parents, family members near and far, as well as community members in Golden and the Calgary area.
9) Use points! Do you have a credit card that collects points? Redeem points for a useful item – (new Kitchen Aid mixer anyone?) and donate it to the auction. Hot tip - Some professional corporations earn points on corporate cards and they can’t use the points for personal use – but they can donate them to a nonprofit… Just sayin’….
10) It’s free advertising for the business/donator!! Make sure the business is aware that they are highlighted in the ad of the auction item:). New this year, businesses who donate items/experiences worth $400 or more will receive special recognition as an auction sponsor.
If you’re having trouble getting items for the auction please get in touch with Heidi by email at firstname.lastname@example.org and we can help brainstorm with you!